Tudo bem? Mode k nhos ta???? That's criolu for how are you guys?!?! Can you believe that it is monday again? The weeks are going by so fast! Only two and a half more weeks until I can see all of your beautiful faces. I'm so excited to skype with you guys. We have transfers this Sunday so we will see if I will still be here in Praia for Christmas. My Mom (Sister Ferreira) will be dying this next Tuesday and I'm really going to miss her. Our house is so trunky because we have two sisters dying this transfer and one the transfer after.
This week I decided I wanted to make a list of 10 things that I bet you didn't know about Cabo Verde.
1. Everybody and their cat's mom and dog here have family in Boston or Brockton in the United States. I'm sure that half the city there has to be Cape Verdeans.
2. Everybody here thinks that America is basically just Boston and Brockton. When I say I am from the United States they ask me if I know so and so that lives in Boston.
3. Everybody here wears flip flops. Even when we ask a member to go teaching with us and we have to hike up the monte it is flip flops. Honestly I don't know how they do it.
4. It's very normal here to see a chickens and goats and cows in the road. The other day we had to go back to our apartment to let some sisters in from Sal and there was 5 or 6 goats in from of the bakery across the street eating some of the plants. One of the owners of the store came out and shooed them away and they just ambled down the street. It was pretty funny.
5. There are soooo many dogs in the street here. There is also some dogs here that we call Zombie Praia Dogs. They are so ugly and look just like zombie dogs.
6. There are a lot of people here who grew up in the states (Boston) who speak English. The other day Sister Lima and I were walking down the street when this guy selling some things came out of nowhere and starting talking to me in English. Sister Lima doesn't speak English so it was kind of awkward. He said his name was Dollar like American cash and he was the number one hustler in Cape Verde. Sister Lima had no idea what he was saying and I was trying so hard to keep a straight face because he was serious. He invited to spend the weekend at his house and drink some kool-aid and study the bible. I was like uhhh no thanks.
7. The driving here is so crazy. I literally think I am going to die every time we take a taxi or a bus.
8. Sometimes you will be just walking along the street and bam! Somebody is taking a bucket shower outside their house or going to the bathroom. It's real awkward.
9. We basically only eat rice and beans and beans and rice here. And bread.
10. The people here are so amazing. I have never met people more open and giving. They share everything here. Everybody here has such a strong desire to help. They have banded together so much to help the people of Fogo. I don't know if you all have heard but the lava isn't stopping and things are getting worse there. They could really use your prayers.
I love my area so much and I'm going to be really sad if I get transfered. The people here are so great and we have some great investigators. We have an investigator who is preparing to be baptized this Saturday. Her name is Helia and she has such a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon. She is moving to America soon and she is scared that when she gets there that she will stop going to church. This fear was stopping her from being baptized for a while but then yesterday, her son who has been passing through a really hard time went to church and liked it a lot. It really helped her testimony and she is so excited to be baptized this Saturday. I am really excited for her. I will send pictures next week.
There are so many more things I want to tell you all but I'm out of time for this week. I am going to try to get out some Christmas letters for everybody so be watching the mail. I love you all so much and I'll talk to you next week!
Com muito amor,
Sister Brown
No comments:
Post a Comment