Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Week 8 Monday Sept 1, 2014

Oi, Familha!!
I miss you all so much! It looks like you had a lot of fun with that rainstorm. I miss the cold season here. It has been so hot here the last week. We are in one of the hottest areas in the mission.
I can't believe I have already been in Cape Verde for two weeks now! So many things have happened this week. Most of it has happened in the last three days. This week we had another sister with us because her visa to Brazil just came and she leaves this Wednesday for Brazil. Teaching in a triple is kind of weird and both of them are fluent in Portuguese so I haven't had many chances this week to teach. But I'm still improving and I'm even starting to understand Creole! It's only like one out of every 6 or 7 words but still! Saturday after Disrict meeting we all went to lunch together and after we ate we played a couple rounds of Scum. It was so fun, and it was nice to speak English for a little bit with the other elders. Afterwards we taught several lessons and then headed to the church for Noite Integracao which is kind of like Family Home Evening at the church. One our way there I accidently hit my toe on a metal bar that was sticking up out of the ground and spit my toenail. It hurt so bad!! It was bleeding all over and I almost passed out. It looks a lot better now but I'm really hoping that I wont lose the nail. 
This week was really hard with our investigators. Saturday night the brother of one of our investigators was shot and killed right behind our apartment. They still haven't caught the man who did it so we have been extra careful to lock the doors. Sunday morning we went to get our investigator who was supposed to be baptized this week, Nilton, but he wasn't at home. So we went to another investigators home to get her, and lo and behold we saw Nilton on the side of the street. So we called him over to invite him to go to church with us but he was drunk. It was so devastating to see because he was so excited to take the lessons and follow Jesus Christ. We tried to invite several more of our investigators to church but nobody wanted to come. It was really hard.
This morning we had a conference with all the missionaries on the Island of Santiago. It was really good. President Matthews and his wife spoke along with Elder Moreira who used to be a mission president in Brazil. It was all in Portuguese so it was kind of hard to understand but I got most of it. The principal message was if we were seeing the world through the Plan of Salvation instead of just knowing about it. The example was the apostle Peter and what changed in him from when he denied knowing Jesus Christ to when he was in prison and they had to continuously change out the guards because he kept teaching and converting them. It was really cool. It was also nice to see the elders from the MTC!! I really missed Elder Wallace, Mendenhall, and Clegg. It was fun to talk about the different areas that we are in. They are doing so good and are such amazing missionaries. I am so proud of them. 
This week was really hard but I have never felt so close to the Lord. Several times this week I had doubts that I was supposed to be here but I know with a certainty that I am meant to be here and that the mission is not supposed to be easy. If it is easy then you are not doing it right. It wasn't easy for the Savior and as his representatives it shouldn't be easy for us. I love it here in Cape Verde and I'm so happy to be able to serve the people. I hope you all are having a good week and I can't wait to hear more from you!
Com muito amor,
Sister Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment